What Do You Do?

I was recently at a gathering when a stranger walked up to me and asked, "What do you do?"  I know she was just trying to be friendly and start a conversation, but I stood there like a deer in the headlights wondering how to answer.  I know she was asking me what my profession was but it made me start thinking about how we are judged by what we "do" as a living instead of "who" we are.  For example, if a grocery clerk and the president of a Fortune 500 Company were both introduced to you, which one would you consider more impressive? 

Credentials do not equal character and they do not define a person.  Sadly, many people think they do.  Too many define their worth by the initials behind their name.  I have nothing against education and I encourage everyone to continue to learn all life long. But  I have always thought in terms of "who" instead of "do".  I do not believe that people should be categorized by what they "do" as a means of deciding whether or not they are valuable.  Our value comes not from "what" we do but "who" we are.

We all have special gifts and talents that the Lord has given each of us and they are to be used to glorify Him.  So whether you are the armpit or the eye in the body of Christ, it makes no difference because both body parts are important.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fools Folly

The Dorcus Project

A Thrashing On The Beach