Stuffed with Stuff

I don't know what it is about going to a buffet that makes a person think they have to eat EVERYTHING they see.  It must be the "all you can eat" for one price that makes you want to get your money's worth.  Never mind the fact that you are going to be miserable the rest of the day or night because you have overstuffed yourself.  My husband and I are on vacation and that is exactly what we did tonight.  He is now lying on the sofa in the condo watching the US Open on TV and I'm out on the patio blogging.  We will probably maintain our respective places until we roll ourselves into the bedroom to sleep it off.

Speaking of being stuffed, another subject comes to mind...my house.  I keep accumulating stuff - because 'someday' I might need it.  Is there anyone else in the world that does that?  I probably do that because that is what my mother did.  I remember when my mother died, it took my sister and I working from dawn to dusk for six weeks to go through all her "stuff."  She had lived through the depression and she kept EVERYTHING.  She would flatten out aluminum foil so that she could reuse it.  She kept rubber bands until they were so old they fell apart when you tried to stretch them.  I remember finding boxes of Pringle cans, milk jugs, Clorox bottles, pine cones, hangers, bread bags and butter tubs. She had a fear of "going without" again so she had a reason for keeping things.  Me - not so much.  I love finding bargains and going to yard sales and auctions.  It's amazing what you can find.  And who can pass up a great bargain?  Certainly not me!!!!  I bought two Ethan Allen chairs for $2.50 each and a Stickley chair for $3 at one auction.  At another auction, I bid $1 on an old overstuffed chair and no one bid against me.  I  reupholstered all of these chairs and they are being used in my home now.  My husband calls me the "chair lady" because I gravitate toward chairs...all kinds.  I bought an old wooden chair at a yard sale last week, painted it, and put it in my garden with a flower pot full of flowers on it. I just love it.

Sadly, I think when we fill your homes - like we fill our bellies - we feel uncomfortable.  Someone once told me that if you do not used something in six months, you do not need it.  With the exception of seasonal decorations or seasonal clothing, I believe this is true.  Several times when I needed something, I ended up going out and buying it even though I know I had it at home.  I just couldn't find it.  Sometimes we just need to reflect on our lives and what we are really doing.  Often we don't even know why we are doing things a certain way.  It is just the way we've always done it.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fools Folly

The Dorcus Project

A Thrashing On The Beach