God and Country

As I write, I am sitting on the front porch of a log cabin in the mountains in north Georgia.  It is six o'clock and in the distance I can hear the chiming of church bells.  Birds are singing, crickets are chirping, and I hear squirrels arguing amongst themselves in the tree tops.  Dogs are barking and occasionally I hear the crunching gravel under the wheels of a vehicle as their engines hum in the distance.  It is so peaceful here.  I am reminded of my childhood home in West Virginia. When I close my eyes I can travel back to a time when life was simple and my biggest concern was avoiding the crawfish pinchers when I went swimming in the creek.

When I think about how my life has unfolded, I am amazed at God's redeeming love and daily mercies.  I have made so many bad choices and yet God in his mercy has forgiven me and restored me whenever I came to him admitting that I was completely undone and helpless without Him.  Even when I was not living for Him, he spared my life.  As I look back now, I see many times, when He could have ended it so easily because of my reckless selfishness.

America has made MANY bad choices that are wrong on so many levels.  It seems that most people think that if we pass laws that make something legal, it becomes okay.  The sad thing is that we are headed for big trouble.  Calamity will fall on us swiftly without remedy. I believe that the Bible is the final authority.  However, there are those who don't share my convictions,  They think it is okay to live a life doing whatever they want, whenever they want, without regard for what God says is right and wrong. As a Christian, I believe we must stand firm on the Word of God.  Obedience to God and His way is how we show our faith to others.

America is about to make another choice in the upcoming election.  If you claim to be a Christian, then you must make a stand based on God's Word.  Make an informed decision.  I urge you to take the time to go read the platform on which each candidate stands.  Do not listen to the media which in most cases are biased.  We need to remember that it is not so much a right to be an American as it is a privilege to be an American.  It is clear to me that one candidate wants the government to control the people and the other wants the people to control the government.

Although we have made many bad choices as a country, God is still merciful.  God tells us in His word that if we 'turn from our wicked ways, and pray, that He will heal our land.'  This is my prayer; that we will stop serving self and begin serving God.  Then and only then will we see real change that will begin the healing needed for our survival as a country - one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fools Folly

The Dorcus Project

A Thrashing On The Beach