Pig Chase in the Wee Hours

We'd had a busy day and it was late by the time my husband and I fell into bed Saturday night. Sunday morning would come all too soon. It wasn't long after we had fallen asleep that our dog, Tilly, began to bark.  I heard her but was too tired to move and thought she'd probably settle down and go back to sleep in a few minutes.  However, she continued to bark...and bark...and bark.  Since my husband would sleep through a bomb going off, I finally crawled out of bed to see what was so important.  The door to our patio has a full length window which allowed Tilly to see whatever was making her bark her fool head off.  The hair on her back was standing straight up and her eyes were wild with fear.  I flipped the patio light on to see what had Tilly in such and uproar and discovered a big pig on my patio.  The pig looked annoyed with me for turning on the light.  I ran to the bedroom and woke my husband telling him I had seen a pig on our patio.  He jumped out of bed, pulled on his boots, picked up his shotgun and was out the door before he was fully awake.  What happened next will cause me to wet my pants every time I think about it. When he went outside, the pig began to run, and my husband ran right behind it.  He was trying to chase it out of our yard but the pig continued to run circles around out house.  So here is a man in his boxer shorts and boots at 2 o'clock in the morning running around and around our house waving a shotgun and chasing a squealing pig.  I am in the house with a dog that is about to have a stroke while I run from window to window watching the pig run by with my husband right on its heels. After several laps around the house, I heard the shotgun go off.  I wondered if he'd shot the pig or fallen and shot himself.  I waited and listened.  Tilly was even quiet.  Then I heard the back door open and my frazzled husband walked in a returned the gun to the gun cabinet.   He slumped into a chair as he told me that he finally ran fast enough to get in front of the pig and shot the gun in the air when the pig got to the corner of the house making him run away from the house and into the woods.  He said he'd had a notion to shoot the pig but it was too late and he was too tired to skin it, clean it and cut it up before church in the morning.  We never knew who the pig belonged to or what happened to it but it's visit to our house was most memorable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fools Folly

The Dorcus Project

A Thrashing On The Beach